Hold onto your sneakers and strap on your sweatbands.
We’re about to embark on a seriously splendid journey.
Let’s explore sports that start with the letter “S”!
Sports that start with the Letter S
- Stand-up Paddling
- Synchronized Swimming
- Speed Skating
Table of Contents
Soccer, known as football in many parts of the world, is a globally adored sport that unites millions of passionate fans and players.
Teams of 11 players each battle it out on the pitch, using their feet, heads, and bodies (excluding their hands) to maneuver the ball into the opposing team’s goal.
With exciting leagues, nail-biting matches, and iconic tournaments like the FIFA World Cup, soccer is a sport that ignites the hearts of people worldwide.
Latest Posts about Soccer
Swimming is a water sport that involves various techniques to propel oneself through the water, such as freestyle, backstroke, breaststroke, and butterfly.
Competitive swimming includes timed races, where athletes aim to finish first in their respective events.
Swimming is a part of the Olympic Games, showcasing the skill, speed, and endurance of swimmers from around the globe.
Latest Posts about Swimming
Softball, a close relative of baseball, is a popular team sport played with a larger ball and smaller field.
With two teams of nine players each, the objective is to score runs by hitting the ball and running around a series of bases before the opposing team can make three outs.
Softball has variations like fastpitch and slowpitch, and it’s a sport enjoyed by people of all ages and skill levels.
Latest Posts about Softball
Squash is an exhilarating indoor racket sport that requires agility, speed, and quick reflexes.
Played within a four-walled court, opponents take turns hitting a small, rubber ball against the wall, aiming to make it difficult for their adversary to return the ball before it bounces twice.
Squash matches are intense, fast-paced, and a fantastic way to stay in shape.
Latest Posts about Squash
Skateboarding is a thrilling action sport that involves riding and performing tricks using a skateboard.
From grinding on rails to flipping through the air, skateboarders display incredible creativity and skill in their maneuvers.
Skateboarding has a rich subculture and is now recognized as an Olympic sport, making its debut at the Tokyo Games in 2021.
Latest Posts about Skateboarding
Skiing is a popular winter sport that involves sliding over snow on a pair of long, narrow skis.
There are various forms of skiing, such as alpine skiing, cross-country skiing, and freestyle skiing, each offering different challenges and experiences.
Whether you’re a seasoned pro or a first-timer on the slopes, skiing is an exhilarating way to enjoy the great outdoors.
Latest Posts about Skiing
#7 Stand-up Paddleboarding
Get ready to glide across the water with Stand-up Paddleboarding (SUP), a delightful water sport that combines balance, strength, and tranquility.
SUP involves standing on a large, buoyant board and using a long paddle to propel yourself across the water.
This versatile sport offers various options, from serene lake explorations to challenging ocean waves and even SUP yoga sessions.
Suitable for all ages and fitness levels, Stand-up Paddling is a fantastic way to soak up the sunshine and enjoy nature’s beauty.
Latest Posts about Paddleboarding
#8 Synchronized Swimming
Synchronized Swimming is a mesmerizing aquatic sport that combines elements of swimming, dance, and gymnastics.
Athletes perform elegant, synchronized routines to music while maintaining perfect timing, form, and expression.
This captivating sport demands incredible strength, endurance, and flexibility, as well as exceptional breath control.
Synchronized Swimming has been an Olympic event since 1984, showcasing the remarkable talent and dedication of athletes around the world.
Surfing is an exhilarating water sport that involves riding ocean waves on a surfboard.
Surfers harness the power of the waves to glide and maneuver their boards, performing breathtaking tricks and turns along the way.
Surfing requires excellent balance, timing, and courage, as well as a deep connection to the ocean.
From casual beach goers to professional competitors, surfing is a thrilling and addictive sport that inspires a passionate community of enthusiasts.
Latest Posts about Surfing
#10 Speed Skating
Speed Skating is an exciting winter sport where athletes race around an ice track on specialized skates, striving to reach incredible speeds and outpace their opponents.
With long, flat blades, speed skates are designed for optimal glide, making every stride count.
Speed Skating includes both short track and long track events, each demanding exceptional strength, endurance, and technique.
An Olympic sport since 1924, Speed Skating has captivated audiences with its fast-paced action and intense rivalries.
Latest Posts about Speed Skating
More Sports Starting with S
- Sepak Takraw: Sepak Takraw is a Southeast Asian sport that blends elements of soccer and volleyball. Players use their feet, head, and chest to pass a rattan ball over a high net, aiming to score points by making it difficult for the opposing team to return the ball.
- Sumo Wrestling: Sumo Wrestling is a traditional Japanese sport that involves two wrestlers, known as rikishi, competing in a circular ring called a dohyo. The goal is to force the opponent out of the ring or make them touch the ground with any body part other than their feet.
- Snowboarding: Snowboarding is an exhilarating winter sport where riders glide down snow-covered slopes on a flat board, performing gravity-defying jumps and tricks. With various disciplines like freestyle, alpine, and halfpipe, snowboarding offers endless opportunities for creativity and fun.
- Sailing: Sailing is a water sport that involves navigating a boat using the power of the wind. From leisurely cruises to adrenaline-pumping races, sailing offers a unique blend of adventure, skill, and relaxation for enthusiasts of all levels.
- Sambo: Sambo is a Russian martial art and combat sport that combines elements of judo and wrestling. Practitioners focus on throws, submissions, and ground fighting techniques, making Sambo an effective form of self-defense and an exciting competitive sport.
- Skeleton: Skeleton is a thrilling winter sport where athletes slide head-first down an icy track on a small sled, reaching breakneck speeds and navigating treacherous turns. An Olympic sport since 2002, Skeleton demands immense courage, precision, and skill.
- Snooker: Snooker is a cue sport played on a large, rectangular table covered in green cloth. Players use a cue stick to strike billiard balls, aiming to score points by pocketing balls in a specific order. Snooker requires exceptional concentration, strategy, and precision.
- Sandboarding: Sandboarding is an exciting adventure sport where riders glide down sand dunes on a specially designed board. Similar to snowboarding, sandboarding offers thrilling descents, spectacular jumps, and a unique way to explore the natural beauty of desert landscapes.
- Show Jumping: Show Jumping is an equestrian sport where horse and rider navigate a course of obstacles, aiming to complete the circuit in the fastest time with the fewest faults. This captivating sport showcases the remarkable teamwork, skill, and athleticism of both horse and rider.
- Street Hockey: Street Hockey is a fast-paced, informal version of ice hockey, played on pavement or other hard surfaces. With minimal equipment and a focus on fun, Street Hockey offers an accessible way for players of all ages and skill levels to enjoy the excitement and camaraderie of the game.
- Sprint Kayaking: Sprint Kayaking is a competitive water sport where athletes race across flat water in lightweight, narrow boats called kayaks. Requiring immense upper body strength, endurance, and technique, Sprint Kayaking is an exciting and challenging discipline enjoyed by enthusiasts worldwide.
- Savate: Savate is a French martial art and combat sport that emphasizes elegant, high kicks and agile footwork. Also known as French kickboxing, Savate combines elements of Western boxing with traditional French techniques, creating a dynamic and visually impressive sport.
- Skydiving: Skydiving is an extreme aerial sport where participants jump from an aircraft and freefall through the air before deploying a parachute. With options like tandem jumps, solo jumps, and formation skydiving, this adrenaline-pumping sport offers unforgettable experiences and breathtaking views.
- Slacklining: Slacklining is a balance sport that involves walking, balancing, and performing tricks on a flat, narrow webbing stretched between two anchor points. From leisurely walks in the park to highlining across vast canyons, slacklining offers a unique challenge for balance enthusiasts of all skill levels.
- Shot Put: Shot Put is a track and field event where athletes throw a heavy metal ball, known as the shot, as far as possible. Combining explosive strength, technique, and focus, Shot Put is a classic test of power and athleticism.
- Snowshoeing: Snowshoeing is a winter sport that involves walking over snow-covered terrain wearing special footwear called snowshoes. This low-impact activity is a fantastic way to explore the beauty of winter landscapes while getting a great workout.
- Ski Jumping: Ski Jumping is a thrilling winter sport where athletes launch themselves off large, sloping ramps called ski jumps, soaring through the air before landing on a steep hill. Ski Jumping demands exceptional skill, courage, and finesse, making it a captivating spectacle for both competitors and spectators.
- Skittles: Skittles is a traditional European bowling game where players take turns rolling a ball or throwing a wooden pin to knock down nine pins arranged in a square formation. With its simple rules and emphasis on skill, Skittles is a fun and engaging pastime for players of all ages.
- Synchronized Diving: Synchronized Diving is an aquatic sport that combines the grace and precision of diving with the added challenge of performing in perfect unison with a partner. Athletes execute identical dives simultaneously, aiming to impress judges with their synchronization, technique, and form.
- Steeplechase: Steeplechase is a unique track and field event where athletes race around a track while negotiating obstacles such as hurdles and water jumps. This demanding race requires exceptional speed, stamina, and agility, making it a true test of an athlete’s versatility and determination.
- Shinty: Shinty is a fast-paced, outdoor team sport originating from Scotland. Played with curved wooden sticks called camans, players aim to score goals by hitting a small ball into the opposing team’s net. Shinty combines speed, strength, and skill, making it an exciting and challenging sport.
- Sumo Basketball: Sumo Basketball is a light-hearted and entertaining variation of the traditional game of basketball. Players wear inflatable sumo suits while attempting to shoot hoops and navigate the court, creating a fun and hilarious experience for both participants and spectators.
- Snowkiting: Snowkiting is a thrilling winter sport where participants use large kites to harness the power of the wind, propelling themselves across snow-covered terrain on skis or snowboards. This high-adrenaline sport offers a unique way to explore snowy landscapes and execute gravity-defying stunts.
- Sledge Hockey: Sledge Hockey, also known as Para ice hockey, is an adaptive sport designed for athletes with physical disabilities. Played on ice with specially designed sledges, sledge hockey follows similar rules to traditional ice hockey and offers a fast-paced, exciting game for athletes and fans alike.
- Stickball: Stickball is a street sport with roots in North America, often considered a simplified version of baseball. Played with a broomstick or similar bat and a rubber ball, stickball is an accessible and engaging game for players of all ages and skill levels.
- Squogging: Squogging is an unconventional sport that combines elements of jogging and squatting. Participants perform squats while moving forward, creating a unique and challenging full-body workout.
- Subbuteo: Subbuteo is a tabletop soccer game where players use their fingers to flick small, plastic figurines around a miniature pitch, aiming to score goals against their opponent. With its detailed game pieces and strategic gameplay, Subbuteo offers an engaging and nostalgic experience for soccer enthusiasts.
- Spikeball: Spikeball is a fast-paced, 2-on-2 game that involves hitting a small ball onto a net using only your hands. Players take turns hitting the ball off the net, with the opposing team having up to three touches to return it. The objective is to make the ball hit the net in a way that makes it difficult for the other team to return it.
- Ski Mountaineering: Ski Mountaineering, also known as Skimo, is a winter sport that combines skiing and mountaineering. Skiers climb mountains using specialized equipment and techniques before skiing back down, emphasizing speed, endurance, and technical skill.
- Snow Polo: Snow Polo is a variant of traditional polo played on snow-covered fields. Teams of three players each use mallets to hit a ball towards the opposing team’s goal, with the objective of scoring more points than their opponents.
- Snowmobile Racing: Snowmobile Racing is a winter sport where riders compete on snowmobiles in various disciplines, including cross-country, snocross, and hillclimb. Riders navigate snow-covered tracks and obstacles, aiming to finish in the fastest time possible.
- SUP Yoga: SUP Yoga, or Stand-Up Paddleboard Yoga, is a combination of stand-up paddleboarding and yoga. Practitioners perform yoga poses while balancing on a paddleboard in the water, emphasizing core strength, balance, and mindfulness.
- Scuba Diving: Scuba Diving is an underwater sport that involves exploring the ocean using specialized equipment, including a self-contained breathing apparatus. Divers can explore coral reefs, shipwrecks, and other underwater environments, experiencing the beauty and mystery of the underwater world.
- Snow Rugby: Snow Rugby is a variant of rugby played on snow-covered fields. Teams of seven players each compete in a fast-paced, physical game, with the objective of scoring more points than their opponents by carrying or kicking the ball across the opposing team’s goal line.
- Supercross: Supercross is a form of off-road motorcycle racing that takes place on man-made dirt tracks featuring steep jumps and obstacles. Riders compete in high-speed races, aiming to complete the track in the shortest time possible.
- Surf Skiing: Surf Skiing is a water sport that involves paddling a long, narrow kayak-like boat through waves and surf. This demanding sport requires strength, skill, and endurance, making it a great workout and an exciting way to experience the ocean.
- Soapbox Derby: Soapbox Derby is a gravity-powered racing sport that involves building and racing small, homemade cars. Participants use gravity and momentum to race downhill, with the objective of crossing the finish line first.
- Scooter Racing: Scooter Racing is a motorsport that involves racing high-performance scooters on closed tracks. Riders compete in high-speed races, maneuvering through turns and straightaways to cross the finish line in the shortest time possible.
- Speed Golf: Speed Golf is a combination of golf and running, where participants aim to complete a round of golf in the shortest time possible. Players run between holes, hitting shots quickly and efficiently, making it a challenging and fast-paced game.
- Speed Badminton: Speed Badminton, also known as Speedminton, is a racquet sport that combines elements of badminton, tennis, and squash. Played without a net, this fast-paced game emphasizes speed, agility, and hand-eye coordination, making it a thrilling and engaging sport.
- Speedball: Speedball is a team sport that combines elements of soccer, basketball, and handball. Players pass and shoot a ball into a goal, with the objective of scoring more points than their opponents in a fast-paced, exciting game.
- Speed Climbing: Speed Climbing is a competitive form of rock climbing where athletes race up a fixed climbing route as quickly as possible. This demanding sport requires strength, speed, and technique, making it a thrilling and visually impressive discipline to watch.
Which sports start with the letter S?
The most popular sports that start with the letter S include Soccer, Swimming, Softball, Squash, Skateboarding, Skiing, Stand-up Paddleboarding, Synchronized Swimming, and Surfing.
What is the most popular sport that starts with S?
Soccer is the most popular sport that starts with S. Soccer, also known as football, is a globally adored sport that unites millions of passionate fans and players.